Saturday, January 14, 2012

In Guangzhou

Things are continuing to go so well here.  Melia is an absolutely delightful child.  We are so thankful to be her parents.

We arrived in Guangzhou night before last.  We will be staying here for the remainder of the trip as we have a handful of things to do before we can bring Melia home.  Today was the required medical check.  (See pictures)

I wasn't pouting here, I was pretending that the doctor was a "sad" place.  Of course, she didn't need any shots, and as usual she was quite happy.  Why should we be surprised?


Lots and lots of adoptive parents here.  I'm guessing well over 100 people all jammed into this place.  


We already knew of her heart condition, but otherwise a very happy, healthy child.


We've already really come to enjoy Guangzhou.  This city is significantly farther South than Beijing, so it's quite a bit warmer.  High 60's, plenty of humidity.  Therefore, we were able to do a lot of outdoor walking and playing.  The boys and I even took a dip in the outdoor pool!




We were very sad that we had to say goodbye to our older 3 kids as they and Katie's parents headed back home this afternoon.  (A fun 30 hour adventure for them!)  We will stay here for a 2nd week, but they had to head home.  Very sad, very emotional, but we'll all meet up soon.

After they left, Katie, Melia and I took a walk around the area in our newly purchased stroller.  (Cheaper and easier to buy one once we were here).


We may have ventured a little too far from the hotel, but we were able to eat some very authentic Chinese food tonight.  Can you see the picture in the lowest middle  Oh my!  What in the world is that?  It's looking at me!


No forks around here!  I had to feed my baby with chop sticks!  She really didn't seem to mind.


It's worth sharing that Melia has really taken a liking toward me.  (Ryan)  It is not uncommon for adopted children to favor one parent over another.  I have to admit that it's really fun to be the "favorite".  The cutest part is that she's been calling me "Ma Ma".  

Also, we continue to get big time looks and stares for the local Chinese folks around here.  One lady even stopped us in the middle of the street with wide eyes and said (quite loudly)  SHE'S CHINESE!  I thought for a moment she was going to call the police.  But then she smiled and said "Good for you".  Thank goodness she spoke English....  

Tomorrow should be interesting as we are going to venture on the Subway and attempt to go a Chinese Catholic Church service.   



No comments: