Thursday, November 18, 2010

Learning the language

Holy cow! Learning Chinese is not an easy endeavor. Not easy.... but necessary. (In my opinion) When we traveled to Russia on our first trip, Katie and I collectively knew ONE WORD in Russian. (Thank you). It was quite a helpless feeling. I knew I was in trouble when I couldn't even say the word "water".

On our second trip, (because we had to wait almost a year) we had managed to learn quite a bit of Russian. This not only helped us get along in the country, but also helped tremendously with the bonding and parenting of Zac. Learning the phrase "please don't touch that" proved invaluable when traveling home with a 2 year old.

Our little secret? This book:


Therefore, it only makes sense that we ran out and bought the Chinese version of this same book. The problem is that not only do I have to learn this very-hard-to-learn language, but I also have to "unlearn" all the Russian that I worked so hard to memorize a few years ago.

No worries though. I'm happy (and quite excited) to do it!

再见 (Zàijiàn) - That means "good-bye" ... I think....



1 comment:

Carey and Norman said...

Congratulations! Not sure if you knew, but we adopted from China after our Russian adoption. Our son (from China) was adopted in January 2010. You will love the China program. It is wonderful. So, so easy compared to Russia. Also, we loved our trip (vacation) to China even taking our other two children with us!

Can't wait to follow along!!

Carey
Russian Fairy Tale
(russianfairytale @ gmail.com) no spaces