Monday, November 27, 2006

World News

I admit that I am not a big "news" guy. I rarely watch the news. Most the time, I skip the "World section" in the newspaper.... more fighting and killing in the middle east. However, I have found this recent story of the Russian spy rather intriguing. Beginning last June, when we committed to officially adopting from Russia, I'm always drawn into "Russian news". I've learned that oil is a major industry in their country. I've learned that their economy has drastically improved sinse their meltdown in 1998. And I've also learned that their is still a lot of political turmoil in terms of the "new guard" vs. the "old guard". Here in the U.S., we take for granted a working, effective government that (for the most part) follows a resonable standard of ethics. - Now before someone goes off here, let me clarify: Our government doesn't regularly kill people for talking out of turn. Our government doesn't flog people in the town square for being a witch. (anymore) Our government doesn't promote children into slavery.... you get my point.

Therefore, I find it interesting to hear that the Russian government supposedly had their hand in poisoning some guy that did some spying. Because of my ignorance, my excitement only exists on a shallow level. To me, this is nothing more than an exciting movie plot. A Tom Clancy book, if you will. Maybe John Grisham.

Nevertheless, this stuff is real. It blows me away that technically, this is the same government that we'll be working with to adopt our children. Come to think of it, writting this post is probablly a very bad idea. I'll have to make sure to keep a close eye on my coffee cup....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for the post. I, too, have been following the story. I rather suspect it is true. Disappearances/strange deaths have long been the standard in Russia. The czarist's and Communists just perfected the system. Your babies will never know the Russian lack of respect for life. I'm sure your coffee is safe. I my case, watching for mold in old coffee cups is more likely. Jean