Monday, September 8, 2008

Challenges

Lately, Zac has been flipping us some pretty good "tude" when it comes to obedience. He loves to say, "No" to almost every parental request we make or will ignore us completely. It really grates on our nerves and this weekend was full of time-outs. So, what to do, what to do...

We decided to try and make obedience fun and practice saying, "Yes, Mommy. I will ________." when we ask him to do something. So, our practice time consists of him happily clapping his hands, touching his nose, eating a cookie etc... when we ask him to. Each time he says, "Yes, Mommy. I will clap my hands, touch my nose, eat my cookie etc..." we respond with lots of affection, good boy, good choice coments. I think, maybe the strategy is working. He seemed a little more receptive to my requests to put your coat on, stop swinging the sword at your brother's face, put your clothes on etc... today.

This job of parenting can be hard, and I hope, hope, hope my kids will remember more of our good then our bad moments. We're trying! We will let you know if the strategy sticks.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh my! I totally understand. Sam tells me no when I ask if he wants something then cries hysterically when I don't give it to him. It is driving me crazy.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking perhaps all boys born on Oct 16 or 17, 2005 are going through this stage -- sounds VERY familiar to me. I thought this stage was supposed to come to an end as they approached 3 yrs. old, but it seems to getting worse at our house.