Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Revelation

Well, after trying so hard to figure out what was wrong with Zac that was making him behave like a two year old I finally figured out that I needed to realize, he is a two year old! That may sound pretty basic for many of you, but with a 5 1/2 year old and a 4 year old learning every day how to be more and more behaved I think I was setting my expectations a little bigh for Zac.

I don't know if any of you can relate to this, but it's like my first child gets off the hook because she is my first and I want to help her grow slowly into all the changes her little life brings. After I taught her how to use underwear (actually my mom did that), drink from a sippy cup, ease into the first day of preschool and Kindergarten, brush teeth, "try two bites of everything on your plate," etc... I expect that the other two will follow suit a lot faster. When they don't (because they are younger-duh!) I get so easily frustrated.



Well, after my "ah-ha" moment, continuing to enforce that obedience is fun and necessary and beginning to treat him more like my baby boy instead of a five year old I am happy to say that the last two days have been great! Yeah! I will take all the small victories I can.

Who couldn't love this adorable face!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i've had to have the same "ah-ha" with tessa and tate. the funny thing is once i decided to treat everyone like a six-year-old (my way of saying being consistent with all three), the tantrums here lessened, with all three. tessa now has to make her bed same as zoe, tate gets put in the naughty chair same as tessa--and oddly enough, everyone's happy!

isn't it weird how parenting works?

Carrie said...

I have been doing the same with Sam. I had such high expectations. Poor little guy just can't act like a 5 year old when he is only 2plus he is just so different than his big sis. I have got to stop expecting him to be her.

Linds said...

I loved to hear you have those moments too! I had to stop today and realize that myself with Bryce & Hadley... one of those days, so thanks for sharing!

Carey and Norman said...

I make comparisons too often as well. I guess it is human nature to do it. So glad things are going well. Zac is too cute!

Anonymous said...

Not only is that an adorable face -- it is definitely becoming a Horner face. Does he kind of look a bit like Jake to you? N