Monday, July 2, 2007

Another Russia trip story

Sorry I disappeared last week. Truth be known, we were out of town (again) - but our trip involved neither Zac nor adoptions so I won't go into details.... except that I have to mention that my 2 year old son knocked out his 2 front teeth while we were on vacation. Geesh... it's always something....

Anyway, I thought I would share a funny story of our Russian travels today. It goes without saying that going to Russia involves a VERY long plane ride. It was close to 19 hours to get to Moscow (including layovers) and another 4 to Novokuznetsk. It also goes without saying that the only real constructive thing to do on a flight like this is sleep. Unfortunately, I didn't sleep a single second on the way over. However, on the way back, Katie and I managed to pop a few sleeping pills (which I washed down with a glass of wine) and we were successfully able to sleep a little on the long leg of our journey back. (Moscow back to Toronto was a 10 hour flight). I felt myself waking up and my first reaction was "yea! I must of finally fallen asleep". When I looked at my watch I realized that I slept for over 7 HOURS!!! I couldn't believe it. Of course I was happy that I finally got some sleep, but also excited that we only had 3 hours left on the flight from hell.

Here's the funny part: We both had those U-shaped travel pillows to sleep with - and they came with a nylon carrying case. Somewhere along the way, we discovered that the bags were very useful to block out light and sound. Therefore, both Katie and I rode 7 hours on a plane with bags over our heads. (See below)



I realize that it looks like we're being held hostage, but we actually were like that by choice. I'm sure the rest of the plane was making fun of us. (and truthfully, we were so drugged up they probablly could have drawn on our faces with markers or put shaving cream in our hands or.... (come up with your own scenario)

Nevertheless, Katie and I have laughed at this picture several times. I thought you all would enjoy it too.

4 comments:

Elle said...

Seattle to Seoul (our way to Khabarovsk) was 12 hours one way. I didn't sleep. On our way home it was 9 hours Khab to Moscow (didn't sleep) and then Moscow to Seattle (via Zurich and Chicago) was 30 hours bed to bed. Didn't sleep then either. I feel your pain.

A Room to Grow said...

i think those pillows are great for long flights. Mine came in a fancy, clear ziploc type bag so I don't think I'm going to use it as you did!@

Rhonda said...

Ohhh you sissies!! 19 hours? (joking! 19 hours is a long time, I know.)

You need to fly Anchorage to Seattle. Seattle to Seoul. Seoul to Khabarovsk. Khabarovsk to Moscow. Moscow to London. London to Chicago. Chicago to Anchorage.

Now, that is a par-tay.

By the end of it, I was wishing I had just chartered a darn flight across the Bering Sea to Russia myself. It would have only been nine hours from us.

Oh and the bag on the head is not a bad idea...

Valerie said...

That's a good look!