Sunday, November 11, 2007

Being a kid, waiting for kid

Funny story:

We had some friends over last night who have 3 kids of their own. Their two younger kids are Hallie and Jake's age, so it was easy for them to run off and play, but the older one was about 7 years old - so he was a little too "mature" for most of the toys and things in our house.

To make a long story short, he and I started goofing around and then I found out that we shared a similar interest in music. He told me that he was in a "band" at school with several of his other 1st grader comrades. (They don't actually play anything... yet.... but they're still "in a band")

Then I proceeded to let him play my drums - He did that for about 45 minutes
Then I proceeded to let him play my guitar - He did that for about another 45 minutes
Then I plugged the guitar into my amp, with full distortion - He REALLY liked that.

But here's the punch line:

When he left, he told his parents, QUOTE:

"I know this may sound weird, because he's ALMOST an adult - but I think Ryan is becoming my new best friend"


Two things that make me happy:

1. I have a new best friend
2. I'm not an adult yet

5 comments:

Chris said...

Aren't kids wonderful! That really put a smile on my face. It sounds like your new best friend made you a kid again!

Jennifer C said...

I love it! Such a high compliment to be paid to you Ryan...he'll probably never forget that night at your house!:) Have a great week!
Jenn

Steveg said...

LOL

That was an awesome story.

And thank goodness you're not yet an adult (they're so boring).

A Room to Grow said...

wow, you must really be cool. i want to be your friend! very funny story! :)

Dan and Alicia Marlowe said...

I think it is pretty cool that you can be a dad and husband and still not have to be a total adult. We all need to learn that balance. Good for you. Imagine the influence you are now poised to have in that young man's life! So neat.