Thursday, August 28, 2008

So what does all this mean?`

Some of you may have questions related to our last 2 posts. Here is my (Ryan's) Non-medical understanding of Zac's condition. I'll start by saying that I could be very wrong with everything that I'm about to type. Our official appointment with the endocrinologist isn't until September 30th. Until then, we'll have to guess.

Zac has a Human Growth Hormone (HGH) definciency. It affects around 10 to 15 thousand people. This has nothing to do with his "being adopted". It's just a condition that he has. He may have been born with it, or it may be onset. We'll most likely never know. His pituitary gland is simply not producing HGH. If untreated, he will not grow much. Specifically, he could be 4 feet tall and look like a small kid for the rest of his life. Most of you probablly know who Gary Coleman is. It's kinda like that. (Although, Gary Coleman actually has some other condition... something related to the kidneys) But you get the point.

Fortunately, in 1984, doctors figured out a way to mass produce HGH. This is wonderful news for our Zac, as this makes his condition quite treatable. A simple (yet painful) daily injection of HGH will get his body growing and he will most likely come close to reaching his full potential. (Whatever that may be... 5'6"? 5'10"? 6'5"?) Time will tell.

It should be noted that it didn't take long for athletes and muscle heads to figure out that a daily dose of HGH can do wonders for a person with already normal HGH production. (i.e. Mark McGuire)

Editor's Note: I don't want to minimize Mark McGuire's accomplishments.... I'm fairly confident that no amounts of HGH would be enough for me to hit ONE homerun in the majors.

I'm just so incredibly thankful that God led us to be Zac's parents. What could have been a BIG deal for him in Russia, will not be much of an issue at all here with us. (Again, I may be jumping the gun with the diagnosis.)

We'll let you know more after Sept. 30th.

Small.... but still really REALLY cute.... and a brave little swimmer too.


5 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

So sorry to hear of the diagnosis, but we are so glad that it is something you are comfortable with and can treat. Poor little Zac having to take daily shots. Yuck.

We will keep you in our prayers!

P.S. He is still as cute as ever!!

Anonymous said...

I have been praying for Zac and your whole family (and asked others I know to pray) as you face this new season in your lives!

I have been thinking a lot about this the last few days and am simply blown away once again by your perseverance and endurance through this. I gained so much insight as I watched you both wait for your beautiful son to come home. I can't even imagine how hard it was for you, but the reward was well worth it (obviously!) Now, I see you approaching this in a similar way - sure, it's not easy, but I know that you know that you can get through it - however God is going to work it out. That could be through healing Zac in a miraculous way, it could be through the injections, or it could be in some other way that isn't clear right now. I am so inspired by the hope you have because you know that God is good all the time! (Totally pulling things from our chat this evening, Katie!)

Thank you for being a wonderful model of perseverance and endurance - you have no idea how much that means to me...especially tonight after what you and I talked about, Katie.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
James 1:2-4

I love you all and am so blessed to have you in my life!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've been following your blog since before you brought Zac home, but am finally de-lurking as someone with a growth disorder (and hopeful future adoptive parent)... Have you checked out magicfoundation.org? They have a lot of info and a great convention every summer... Good luck!
-Ana

Anonymous said...

I like how he calls you Mommy in the video.

I'll keep the little guy in my prayers.

BTW, it's so good to see that you have your little boy home finally after all that waiting.

Kudos!

- Angela
Omaha, Nebraska

Dan and Alicia Marlowe said...

I bet that little voice saying, "mommy" is music to your ears.