Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Middle Names

If you check my earlier post entitled "Names and Rooms", you will read about how we have already named our soon to be adopted children. Molly and Zac. Although in my post I said that I favored the spelling as "MOLLIE", I think we've changed our mind to MOLLY.

But here's the new debate: Middle names.

For a long time we had picked Zachary Douglas Horner. (Douglas is my dad's name). But now we're not so sure about the middle name. (Sorry dad). And Molly we were never very sure of.

Our thinking is this: Should their middle names be their giving Russian name? Or should their middle names be named after our family. (Giving them continued reassurance that they ARE 100% in the family). Or could we have two middle names? (Zachary Vladimir Douglas Horner?) Hmmm.... If we were really creative, we could name him Zachary Antov Charles Horner. Then his initials AND his name would be the same!!! ZACH! How cool would that be?

I welcome anyone's comments on this important issue. We need your thoughts and advice. Simply click on the word "comment" right under this post. You don't need to sign in. Just click on the anonymous button.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, good question about the middle names. I like the suggestion of two middle names. My grandparents always gave two middles names to kids - in those days it was the name of each of their grandparents -- like my uncle who was Rudolph Frederick Frederick. Both of his grandparents had the same first name and they wanted to honor both. Or your children's great grandmother - Anna Frieda Louise --known to your children as Gigi. Including a family name and their own name seems like it would be a fine idea. But for sure, anyway you choose to name your children will be okay with me - I am very certain I will love them just as much with whatever names and spellings (though I like "Mollie")you choose. Love, Nannie (notice it also ends in "ie")

Anonymous said...

We just adopted from Colombia--does that give us away ;-)?--and I would definitely recommend using one of the child's birth names as a middle name or even first name. Every adoption professional and book we read recommended this. I feel like it shows that you care deeply about the child's birth family. In our adoption, our baby's birthmom gave him his name and it was also what he was called for the first 5 months of life. I believe it also shows that we love the culture and language he was born into. Of course these are your children and there are probably lots of good reasons to use other names that you love and have dreamed of! Enjoy dreaming of them! Just my little thoughts, Rachel Lehman

Anonymous said...

You know life is strange. I posted a response last night and it is not here. I can't help but wonder where it went My Vote...I like the multiple middle names. Remember we have William Frederich Victor and I think it is quite unusual. Plus, since you, Dad, and Cole have the Douglas it would be cool to have a Horner family name in yours too. And I am with Nannie. Hallie and Mollie go together. Notice also Jeannie ends with an "ie" Nannie and I do think alike though. We love our grandbabies without concern for their names. Love is not conditional on spelling, health, or anything else. We are just getting anxious. Grammy

A Room to Grow said...

I found your blog via Steve. We are adopting two "older" children from Russia so we are hoping to keep their Russian names. If their Russian names are hard to pronounce, or "weird" my American standards, we are going to keep them as middle names. Since we are getting two, I'd like to be consistent with both. Ie. not keep one; but loose the other. Cool blog.

Anonymous said...

Well, our family likes Molly! We like your website too!