Wednesday, February 27, 2008

3....2.....1.....

Life is made up of all the little moments that waste away while we're sitting around waiting for the big moments to happen….


For over 140 days, I've watched the countdown clock tick down each and every day reminding us that we were one step closer to bringing our son home. We did NOT, however, stop living for the precious moments that we had been given. We enjoyed the blessings we DO have. We soaked in all the wonderful events that we were able to share with our first 2 children. We continued to live and love, and chose not to dwell on the bad. (most days)


The way I see it, I've got maybe 50 years left to live…. (big maybe)…. That calculates to approximately 18,000 days. That means that if I chose to mope and worry and be bitter during our mere 140 days of extra waiting, I would have successfully wasted 0.78% of the only life I have left. (Almost 1%).


My point is this: For those of you waiting for something, (whether it be adoption related or anything else) don't let life and the little moments slip by. All of life's lemons should be turned into lemonade….


For us, this lemon was a major lesson in patience and humility. In the brilliant words of Evan Almighty, "If you pray for patience, do you think God will just give it to you - or do you think that he'll put in a situation that will teach you patience?"

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I might regret this in the morning, but I have been waiting for your counter to reach ZERO!!!

Only 5 minutes left!!!!!!

I am so excited for you, and I have to say that even though I can't even begin to imagine how much of a test this has been, I am so glad that I have been able to spend so much time with your family before Zac comes. I don't doubt that after he comes home it will be even more wonderful and I can't wait!

I love you guys and I am so blessed to have such great employers! (Though really, you're more than just that, lol.. just want to throw that in! ha!)

Russian Adoption Chronicles said...

Very well said... I will be stalking your blog looking for word of a court date!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I needed to hear that. We are waiting on some news today about our adoption as well. We have been in the process for over 2 years, now, so it is hard on some days to wait but you are right. We can't waste our lives pining away over things we thought should have happened or come easier. I hope you hear about a court date very soon!

JennyM
web.mac.com/jmartin7100

Anonymous said...

0-0-0-0 - let the excitement and anticipation begin anew. He is yours to adopt. Your "paperwork" is there and in place and the "roadblock" has been lifted. Open roads ahead! Travel happy and safely to your son. Praying that you will hear about your court date soon. Love, N

Deb said...

Great reminder. That quote is why I love that movie.

Praying that the remainder or your wait is just as easy for you.

Anonymous said...

Oh how we have waited for this day! It has been slow, yet so fast. Here's to travel and Easter with you not here (hopefully)!

Hawk said...

I am so excited for you all! Hopefully it'll be quick and smooth sailing to your son.

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Hooray!! The countdown says O! I loved this post. You are so right. We may be forced to wait and wait, but it's so important to savor every minute of the time we have while waiting. Easier said than done when you want so much for your son to be with you! I can't wait to hear you have your court date for Zac!

Unknown said...

i went back to your earlier posts to see if jake had teeth--what happened to his two front teeth? and i read your post from november 2006. did you know you said almost the same thing about waiting? i just thought that was interesting. even as you were just starting out, you had a goal to make the time of waiting count, to live each moment of your life fully. pretty cool!

Ryan and Katie said...

Melanie--Jacob knocked his teeth out when we were in Disney last summer! Yes, that's life with a boy--get ready for Tate!

Danigirl said...

Reading your blog made me think back to the painful 5 mth wait we endured with our adoption. We know the pain your heart is enduring. Yes you have another good 50 years in your life, but waiting is so difficult and wouldn't it be so nice if you had your precious pasha with you already. We will continue to pray for you and a court date. It has to come soon. As far as the pictures, please don't torture us by waiting for gotcha day.

Hugs, danica