Sunday, February 17, 2008

GPD

As a parent, we have G.P.D.'s and B.P.D's.  

Reader's Note: G.P.D. = Good Parenting Day
B.P.D. = Bad Parenting Day

Today was most definitely a G.P.D.  For the past few months, Hallie and I have been working our way through the Narnia books, and today, we went to Border's to buy The Magician's Nephew.  (We seem to be reading them out of order).

Anyway, we made our way home around 2:00 in the afternoon and (I'm not kidding) we've spent the majority of the rest of the day reading that book.  After several hours reading out loud and discussing many concepts and explaining vocabulary words, we've already pushed away through the first HALF of the book.  

Now that Hallie is 5 years old, I've noticed that her affection is not automatically given to me.  It is something that I must "earn".  I have come to realize that this will most likely become even more pronounced as she becomes older.  It's not her fault.  It's just part of growing up.  We all do it, don't we?  But I share this thought, because today, Hallie really really loved me and showed me affection.  We snuggled on the couch together and read and read and read ALL DAY LONG.  It's such a wonderful thing, as a dad, to have your little girl look at you and hug you as if you were the most wonderful person in the whole world.  (I'm thinking she won't always feel that way...)

As a parent, we know that there are days where we secretly reset the clocks forward so that we can hurry and put the kids in bed and get on with our own lives.  Today was NOT one of those days.  Today, I wasn't hurried.  I wasn't distracted.  I had nothing "more important" to tend to.  I was just able to be a dad.  I realize that I need to have more of these kind of days.  The glow that I feel is too good not to have these more often.  Not to mention, we'll be adding another kid to mix soon.  It may be a good idea to go into this with "a good attitude"...

'Twas a G.P.D.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I checked the blog tonight for the countdown - only a little more than an hour and the release date will be a single digit number. How great is that?! However, even though that was my reason for checking the blog, I was captivated by your wonderful story of your day with Hallie. Making most of these days with the child who happens to be at your side is such a blessing. So glad you feel the "glow." I hope you experience many more of these GPD. N

Suz said...

Just checking in to see the countdown clock too! I am so excited you're down to just 9 days!!

Oh I love those GPD's too. So glad that you were able to capture that moment!

Carey and Norman said...

I'm glad you are down in the single digits. I hope you receive news within the next two weeks for a court date. I know how ready you must be to travel back to Russia.

Great quality time reading books together. I think that is wonderful!!

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

I still adore my dad - the most wonderful man in the world. And, I'm 33! I hope you have many many more adoring years with your Hallie.

cm