Thursday, March 22, 2007

Accredidation

I haven't talked much about Accredidation lately.

If you remember, an adoption agency must be accredited by Russia before they are allowed to facilitate an adoption. One of the big deals in Russia is that their accredidations only last one year and the last time they accredited any agency was April 12 of last year. If you do the math, you will calculate that by next month, there will be ZERO agencies that can work in Russia.

If you search my December posts, you will find a joyful post about how Russia started taking applications for accredidations on December 20. Additionally, they made a "law" that stated that Russia must let agencies know of their accredition status within 90 days. If my math is right, that should have happened Tuesday or Wednesday. To my understanding, nothing happened.

Most of the blogs and chat rooms I read are very quiet right now. No doubt everyone is holding their breath all the while preparing for the worst.

I have to admit, this makes me nervous. But right now, I'm assuming that I'm missing something and that March 20 was not the date that everyone was shooting for.

1 comment:

Elle said...

My experience with Russia and their paperwork system and "timelines" goes as follows. They say they have 90 days to notify the agencies of their paperwork status. This translates to We will look at your paperwork somewhere in that 90 days and tell you if we need more paperwork or not.

In the case of our agency (although we are done I still keep up) their paperwork was reviewed and no additions were requested. No further info given.

My guess is that they are so backlogged with all 52 agencies applying it is taking them more time than originally anticipated. The good news is once everyone is reaccredited the accreditation doesn't expire.