Sunday, January 13, 2008

Never give up

On the coat tails of my "this sucks" post from yesterday, I'd like to express these thoughts today:

It seems as if many of my friends and aquaintences have recently commented on how long and difficult our adoption appears to be.  From their perspective, we have been going at this for over a year and nothing has happened.  On the surface, this may be true, but I'm telling you that within myself, a tremendous amount has been accomplished.

Indeed, life is a series of chapters and experiences.  While adoption may not exactly be the quickest and easiest way to have a baby, it is certainly the most "soul building" thing I've ever done.  This last year has been one of the most emotional years I've been through so far.  It would be easy to conclude that an "emotional year" must have been a bad thing.  

"Really?" I ask.  Is the object of life to avoid as much emotion as possible?  Should we go through our days trying to prevent any and all feelings of sadness?  Are any "bad vibes" seen as something to avoid?  Is life supposed to be one big continuous feeling of happiness and bliss?  I'm thinking we'd be missing something if that were the case.  

I'm not, for one moment, ever going to regret this experience.   After experiencing the best year of my life, I'm here to declare that adoption is a blessing.  Some of you may be adopting out of "need".  You may feel like you've missed out.  Please don't.  I think that it's the other way around.  

My message goes out to ANYONE who has ever considered adoption:  Do it.  Do not be afraid.  Do not worry.  It's a crazy & wild adventure and I wouldn't miss it for the world.

8 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Great post. So positive and uplifting. To go from six weeks waiting to many months more, you've been courageous and strong. I know that I'm antsy at four months. I think it is the mother in us that feels that our child will be better in our arms, so we have that desire to want to return. I do agree that God grows us during our wait. We must rely on him for courage and strength.

You are getting so close. You will be packing soon! Do you know how quickly after he goes off the databank you can have a court date?

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Beautifully said. You have been so positive and strong, it's okay to vent and feel those sad and frustrating emotions too! You're getting so close. I know you can't wait to bring your precious Zac home, and we will continue to pray that day comes very soon!

Dan and Alicia Marlowe said...

You are right! How many of us would chose to grow if we knew in advance how uncomfortable it would be? It's like doing a workout, you know it's gonna burn in spots and leave you out of breath. BUT you feel so good afterwards that you come back for round two the next day. God is growing you through all this. You are partaking in His suffering and when obedience brings suffering it also brings grace to the sufferer. Who wouldn't want to be more gracious, Christ-like? I'm excited to see you value these things. You are an encouragement to me.

Deb said...

I totally agree with you. I'm glad that even with the difficult things that have come your way you have seen this as a blessing. We're not adopting out of need and I feel extremely blessed to be adopting. No matter how long it takes (2 yrs 3 months today).

Suz said...

This is so true.

Even after nearly 2 years and 9 months with still no end in sight, I would still tell people to do it. There are just so many children and so many families. It most likely won't be easy, but it will all be worth it.

Kelli said...

The highs wouldn't feel nearly as high if we didn't have lows. Well put Ryan!

Anonymous said...

Wise man. I think you'll make your little guy a good Papa!

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

I love this post! We have not experienced biological parenthood (and may not ever). It is very touching to hear your perspective - having experienced both parenthood paths yourself.

I know I'm a bit delayed in responding to this - for some reason I have been unable to access your new posts since Dec 31. I was wondering why you were having such a quiet year. Not so! Thank you for the invite. I am honored to be included in your experience. You guys have been an inspiration to us during our extended wait as well.

Your family is very much in our prayers. Isn't the adoptive-family blog world cool?!

cm