Wednesday, January 23, 2008

New habits

Well, what do you think of the new picture at the top? I'm having fun learning the ways of the blog....

Here's my thought of the day:

When Katie and I traveled to Russia, there were times when we would observe how they live and think to ourselves, "Hey, They do it better here than we do." One of those moments was at the grocery store. Most Russians (and Europeans) bring their own bags to the grocery store. No plastic. No paper. Just their own reusable bags each and everytime. This makes so much sense when you think about how many bags you use each and everytime you go the the store. (I'm guessing we use 20-30 bags a month..... at least!)

So starting last month, Katie and I bought some reusable bags and we've been bringing them to the store each time we shop. It's a hard habit to get into, but we're getting there.

I'm going to save the world!!!!! (You can thank me later).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is some picture! Is it real? It sort of looks like Moscow with a bit of Cinderella's castle and Disney lighting tossed all together. Good for you on the bags. We have discussed it and you may get us going yet. Love, Grammy

Carey and Norman said...

Glad you got the picture to work. I really like your picture. I can't wait to go back and see St. Basil's Cathedral with my own eyes!!

I'm glad you received a documents update list. It won't be long now!

Anonymous said...

Great pic of St. Basil's! Did you take it?!

As to the bags, what happens seems to depend where you are at in Russia--some places they just automatically gave us a bag--and an extra charge on the bill! (Sort of like the store around here called "Whole Foods"--if you bring your own, great--if not, hey, here's a bag and give us some extra money!) I'd hate to have to take all my own bags though for a trip to Wal-mart to shop for our family of six . . . !!! It'd be a STACK! However, we DO re-use bags, and also recycle them to try to do our tiny bit to help save things. ;-)

Unknown said...

i have been wanting to do this--it is pretty big around here. but we use our bags for garbage bags. so then i would have to buy bags for our garbage. this seemed to defeat the purpose in our case. i just want to do my part but sometimes the choices aren't very clear. but i'm very impressed with your choice (and a little envious).