Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Gift

Hey blog friends! This is Katie.

I wanted to share a sweet gift that God gave me today.

I was putting Zac down for his afternoon nap (which has turned into a bit of a struggle) and after 1/2 hour of sweet, quiet time I finally decided to let him fall asleep on his own. Besides, I had my agenda of naptime "things to do". Well, after another half a hour I was getting frustrated and he was too. It escalated to him crying and me praying (something I should have started with, I know). God gently, but with conviction said to me, "Get in there and be his mother! Comfort him and let go of your agenda (cutting up vegetables which I'm sure no one will eat tonight anyway)."

So, with a deep breath I went into his room and scooped him up. He didn't fight it at all but cozied up into my neck and wrapped his arms around me. I held him as he calmed down and then went into the hallway to rock him in the rocking chair. Within two minutes he fell asleep in my arms for the first time. I cried. How sweet to rock my baby and that he let me rock him. How precious that as I watched him sleep my heart could not have been more in love and known him more as my own. I'm so grateful that when I finally surrendered (when will I learn) God was gracious enough to bless me with those sweet moments.

So, I had to let you all know (and the vegetables are still waiting to be cut up!).

8 comments:

Jennifer C said...

Beautiful Katie...thanks for sharing! Love you,
Jenn

Carrie said...

Too sweet!!

G and G said...

You really are wonderful. How can a mom ever turn down something as beautiful as her child? One more thing... I DID eat the vegetables and they were wonderful!

Chris said...

It is all so worth it!

Deb said...

Glad you listened to that small voice. What a sweet moment.

Linds said...

Love to hear those stories... such a good reminder to me. Can't wait to meet that sweet Zac! Linds

Anonymous said...

There seem to be no moments more special than when a mother can hold her child in her arms and rock and sing and embrace the quiet time together. Glad you and Zac had that special moment yesterday -- with many more to come in his future with you. P.S. Katie, I still cherish having had those special moments with you and your brother and sister. N

Carey and Norman said...

How precious. It melts your heart, doesn't it? I agree that when we surrender, the outcome is more than we could have ever asked!