Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Report Card

Now that we're back from Russia, I will most likely be ditching the twice a day entries. We'll probably be going back to every other day... er something.

So naturally, people are asking how Zac is doing, so I thought it would be fun to draft a "report card" format:

Sleep: A+
Zac has been consistantly sleeping through the night from day one. The most amazing feat that he accomplished was our first day back home when he managed to sleep from 10:00pm to 6:00am even though we were all tremendously jet lagged. I'm not sure how he pulled this off.

Many of you have commented about my blog entry regarding how we witnessed Zac falling asleep those first few times. I'd like to let everyone know that he has already transitioned into a more "normal" sleep habit. (i.e. whining when it's time to go to bed, playing a bit before he goes to sleep... not exactly "good" behavior, but certainly more "normal"). Nevertheless, the whining and playing are very minimal. Bottom line is that he is a great sleeper. Very quiet too. No snoring.

Eating: A+
Zac is a great eater and doesn't appear to be too freaked out with our American food. He really likes bananas, but isn't real crazy about any other fruits. Go figure.

Temper Tantrums: B-
Today was our first day without a full blown "Zac attack". (Yea!) There were a few 2 year old moments but nothing like what he's capable of. Each day is getting better and better. We are so encouraged by his sweetness and ability to handle what must be a very stressful time in his life.

Playing with Siblings: B+
One of the biggest surprises we've had during our time home is how helpful Hallie and Jake have been. They probably don't even realize they are helping, but there have been countless times when we've been trying to steer Zac in a particular direction, and he doesn't necessarily listen to us, but he does follow whatever his big brother and sister are doing. (i.e. coming in for dinner, washing his hands, brushing his teeth, etc.) All 3 are getting along very well. We have had only 2 very minor cases of hitting.

Attachment: A
We are making leaps and bounds on a daily basis. As I look at various "check lists" that are out there regarding attachment disorders, I see that we have very few things to worry about. The only major issue that we've seen from Zac is that he has a tremendous tolerance for pain. (which is indeed on the list of attachment issues). This kid has taken some serious spills in the last two weeks and for the most part, he simply gets up and keeps right on going. No tears. No hugs from mom or dad. (We try, but he resists during these times) But this seems to be the only "big thing" that we're seeing. For the most part, our lives are full of cuddles, snuggles, kisses, hugs, eye contact, etc.)

Cuteness: A+

Sweetness: A+

Humor: A+
Zac is showing himself to be a little clown. It's fun to watch his new faces and noises emerge on a daily basis.

Talking: A+
I'll let you watch this one for yourselves.

(Editor's note: At the end of the video, Zac walks away like a "silly man". Please don't be worried that he has something wrong with his legs.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great report card! Zac is quite an achiever -- and so precious. Loved the video. Looks like there are a lot of moments of joy ahead for Zac and for your family. N

G and G said...

O.K. Make me laugh! I almost sense a little accent on his hello. I love all the smiles. It seems as though we have waited so long to see them, and now they are abundant. I love this little boy!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THE VIDEO! That totally just made my day.

A Room to Grow said...

Cute!

When we first got Rita, she didn't seem phased by spills & bumps either. But whenever something happened, we would go over to her and acknowledge the hurt / ouch and kiss or hug it or her. Now she shows us every bump and scratch.

Same with her hair. At first she never complained by my combing/brushing and now she always has at least once "ouch" to complain about. It's almost like we had to "turn on" her pain response (or teach her to verbalize what's going on).

The Wilson's said...

Wow. He is talking so good. I am so glad to hear that he is doing well and attachment seems to be going good.

Anonymous said...

SO glad things are going well for you guys. He is precious. Nate, Becca, Joe, and Julia

Anonymous said...

SOOOOO CUTE! I just can't wait to see him and all of you soon! Thanks for the video....do lots more soon! :-)

Love to all, Jenni

Carrie said...

Good report card. I can't get over how much he is talking. Sam mostly babbles.

Sophie also seemed unaffected by anything that would be painful to another child. A doctor told me to make a big deal when something happens and give her comfort. She said Sophie needed to know that I was the one to turn to when something was wrong. Well like always I did not listen. A few days later she mashed her finger in the armoire. The very first thing she did was turn to me and cry. She is still "tough" but she found me for comfort on her own. That was about 6 weeks after she was home.

Sam totally feels everything and cries about it too.

I don't know if that helps but I just thought I would throw that out there.

Chris Goeppner said...

What a cutie! He talks so well! I wish I had those grades on my report card when I was in school!=) Keep up the good work!
-Penny

Anonymous said...

More video... more video... please! N