Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Regressions

I was such a good little blogger leading up to our trip and of course DURING the trip.

But now, I'm having a hard time finding the time and motivation.  The last few posts were Katie's.  (Thanks dear!)  I'm hoping eventually we'll settle back to normalcy.

Anyway, I wanted to quickly mention our experience with regression.  Specifically, I'm talking about potty training.  When we first got Zac (over a month ago now!) he was VERY good with his potty training.  Rarely would we find a wet diaper.  Occasionally, he would have a dirty diaper.  He always said "Da" when we asked him if he had to go potty and he always would comply with going.  (Even on the big potty chair)

One month later, things have changed.  Pretty much he is 100% diapers.  We're now to the point where he absolutely refuses to get on the potty.  When we ask him if he has to use the potty he quickly says "no".  (Yes, we've already transitioned from Nyet to No.... his English is quite amazing!)

Katie and I are not in the least bit concerned with his regression.  In fact, we've read that this is quite common.  We're so encouraged by his incredible PROGRESS with everything else that this one REGRESS is not a big deal at all.  

I merely find it very interesting.  What's going on in that little head of his?  Is it a control thing?  Is it a need to revisit his "lost babyhood"?  Is it a fear of the toilet?  Is it because he would rather poop on my hand?  

We may never know the answers...

2 comments:

Dan and Alicia Marlowe said...

Another 'Poop Story' reference! Great! I like that you are taking this in stride. It may be a combination of all you suspected. He'll figure it out in time. I've read in child development books that kids sometimes 'forget' an old skill while their brain focuses on mastering a new one. Maybe his potty regression is paving the way for his English acceleration?!

Russian Adoption Chronicles said...

Ha! I am going to vote for the latter. Just watch your timing with bath time. We have had one poop-in-the tub incident and one close call!