Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Did you know?

Has anyone ever heard of George Muller? Anyone? Anyone?

Mr. Muller lived during the 1800's and his story is truly inspiring. His story is mostly a "once was lost, but now am found" type. I really became interested in his story when I read that he began an orphange 1845. (I didn't read about it in 1845, he started the orphanage in 1845 - I wasn't yet born in 1845..... whatver..... I think you get what I'm saying).

Apparently, he began an orphanage in Bristol with a mere two shillings. (This equates to about $0.50) Now, I'm sure that inflation plays a factor here, but common sense tells me that 50 cents wasn't much even in that time.

There were times when he literally wouldn't know where the money or food was coming from until moments before meal time. Nevertheless, things continued to build. He eventually erected five large orphan homes where he fed and cared for thousands of orphans over a period of 60 years.

The buildings are still in existance today. See http://www.about-bristol.co.uk/ash-01.asp

He died with approximately 160 British Pounds to his name.

I just ordered his autobiography. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: