Tuesday, January 23, 2007

One other thing

As long as I'm picking on the psychologist that we met with yesterday, I wanted to add one more thing. He asked a question to both Katie and I that we thought very strange.

"Are you right or left handed?"

Huh?

What in the world does that have to do with anything? How can that possiblly help in determining my mental health? I'm serious here. I'm a fairly educated person. I racked my brain yesterday trying to come up with even the slightest reason that he would possiblly ask this and I came up with nothing.

If anyone has any ideas here, feel free to post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone's thoughts.

Right-handed advantage
Psychology Today, Sept, 1988

Left-handed people defer to the majority: They write backwards, open doors the wrong way and squeeze into scissors designed for righties. Now it's found they die before right-handed people, too.

After the age of 35, left-handed people are about 2 percent more likely to die than right-handed people of the same age, according to a study by psychologist Stanley Coren. He and colleagues at the University of British Columbia analyzed the records of 2,300 deceased major league baseball players listed in the Baseball Encyclopedia. "In samples of 85- to 90-year-olds it's almost impossible to find a left-handed person," Coren says.

One possible reason lefties die sooner, Coren suggests, is because they suffer more birth traumas. Breathing difficulties, premature birth and low birth weight are twice as common in left-handers as right-handers. "It's possible that this group enters the world with a survival disadvantage," he says. Lefties are also more likely to suffer from immune and sleep disorders, allergies and asthma.

Coren also believes left-handed people are accident prone. He recently polled almost 2,000 university students and found significantly more accidents among left-handed people. "If left-handers have more accidents, chances are that some will be fatal and others will cause serious health problems," Coren says.

Ryan and Katie said...

Thanks for the info, anonymous.

I never realized how lucky I was to be right handed. Now I can look forward to a long, fruitful life.