Friday, January 19, 2007

The Italian

There is a movie being released today called The Italian. Contrary to the title, the movie is about a Russian orphan. I'm sure this movie will be big talk among the Russian adoption community.

I haven't seen it. (Yet) I haven't talked to anyone about it (yet). I've only read two reviews. Here is one of the online reviews:

Six-year-old ragamuffin Vanya (Kolya Spiridinov) must choose between letting himself be adopted by an affluent Italian family, or running away from the children’s home run by a corrupt headmaster (Yuri Itskov) with the help of greedy adoption broker Madam (Maria Kuznetsova), to find the mother who abandoned him. Seeing that the older children must resort to stealing or prostitution in order to survive, plucky little Vanya decides to teach himself to read in order to steal his records and his birth mother’s address. Once he finds the address, Vanya sneaks out of the orphanage and boards a commuter train headed for the city. Fearing that Vanya will make them lose a very lucrative adoption deal, the orphanage master joins forces with Madam to find the runaway child by any means necessary.

I'm pretty sure that Katie and I will be watching this one. If nothing else, I'm sure that within a few weeks everyone will be asking us, "Did you see The Italian? Did you see The Italian?"

It'll be easier just to be able to say "yea, yea, yea."

I hope it's not too depressing.

No comments: