Friday, January 26, 2007

Language

One thing that Katie and I have not done very well is learning the Russian language. Upon our official decision to adopt (last June) I immediately ran out and bought a "Learn Russian" CD. I listened to it for about a week and then it quickly found its way to the door compartment that holds all my other CDs that I don't listen to.

In my defense, it was a lousy language tape. It was nothing but a never-ending string of Russian words. I'm sorry, but that's not how I learn. I think it came with a book, but I was hoping to learn in the car while driving. Last time I checked, reading and driving is frowned upon. (Although I AM guilty of reading the Wall Street Journal on the way to work from time to time).

Here's the thing: Part of me feels guilty that I'm not learning my children's native tongue. The other part of me says, "We're adopting 2 kids under 24 months. They'll learn English in no time" Speaking honestly (if I may) I simply don't have much of an interest learning Russian. It's not that I don't repect the country. (I do!) It's not that I won't respect and preserve my adopted kids' culture. (I certainly will!) It's just that I suck at the foreign language thing. I'm not a good learner when it comes to language. (Refer to my high school grades if you must)

So does this make me a bad person? Does this make me an "arrogant American"?

Maybe. But I'm really not meaning to be.

3 comments:

A Room to Grow said...

I started off thinking that I would really try to learn travel/conversational Russian. But it's just too hard. I am planning to learn some key phrases / words and rely on that and picture books (which I'll make - english/russian phrases & words) to communicate the first few months. I've heard the children are great - and they will learn English much faster (& better) than I could ever hope to learn Russian.

Anonymous said...

Ryan, I also need to point out the only language you ever attempted to learn was Latin. The last I remember, NO ONE speaks that.

Anonymous said...

Ryan and Katie, Mark used a great computer program to learn Russian before he went to Kiev to bring Ginger home. He was able to order food, barter in the markets, etc. He said the neat thing was the response of the people who felt so honored that he had tried to learn their language.