Thursday, April 19, 2007

A flying stat

Tucked away in the middle pages of my Wall Street Journal, a headline caught my eye:

RUSSIA IS RANKED WORST FOR FLIGHT ACCIDENT RATE

Oh great. Flying only happened to be my biggest fear in life. Apparently, there were 77 major global Air Travel accidents last year. (Which was down from 111 in 2005).

This is somewhat comforting considering all the flights that are constantly going on, but....

Russia ranked the worst.

In fact, the rate is 8.6 accidents per million flights in Russia.

The next worst was Africa at 4.31 accidents per million

Western countries average 0.65 accidents per million.

Clearly, they all do pretty good... but sometimes "pretty good" just doesn't cut it.

Something else interesting:

Cargo flights account for 4% of all flights BUT accounted for 24% of all the accidents.

This actually makes me feel good. Sort of....

3 comments:

Elle said...

Over the years I have notice a common fear among those adopting from Russia. Fear of flying Russian airlines. Having done it I can say there is nothing to fear. That being said, take these factors into consideration. Smell, food, and restroom cleanliness. I highly suggest throwing out any ideas of having luxury aboard any Russian aircraft. And if you can hold it any length of time... that might be a good thing too. And fly Aeroflot. They are the most reliable of the Russian carriers.

Deb said...

I saw that headline too but didn't read it. I must say I'm glad that we take a train to get to our region when we go.
That rate isn't really bad considering how many flights they do and how big the country is.

Anonymous said...

KNOWING my love of flying, I am convinced you published these stats to reinfore my fears. BTW Have a SAFE trip to Hawaii...my grandbabies from Russia need you ALL home in tact. We do love your kitty and will watch him carefully. See you soon. We probably will not bring him home to our bed. Love to all, Grammy