Saturday, June 16, 2007

Greetings from Moscow

Hey everybody! We're on our way. We got into Moscow today and will be on our way to Novkuznetsk tomorrow evening. I didn't really sleep on the plane, so I'm super-duper tired. Therefore, I can't really think in complete thoughts therefore I'll just type bullet points.

1. Our trips were.... OK. We had a 3 hour delay on our Chicago flight. We showed up in Toronto with 10 minutes to spare and ran all over the airport looking for terminal 3. It took us an hour and 20 minutes to get there. You may think that we missed our next flight, but it too was delayed 3 hours.

2. We showed up on Moscow this afternoon but our bags did not. So we're soaking our clothes in the bathtub so that we won't stink tomorrow. (Yes, I'm blogging naked right now)

3. We tried to buy some clothes at the "discount store" 2 blocks down from our hotel. Neither of us could find a pair of jeans for less than $175! Thanks but no thanks.

4. Our Russian Coordinator is incredible!!! The coordinator is the person that an agency works with on the Russian side. His name is Vladimir and in a short amount of time, Katie and I both fell in love with him. He is the nicest guy and is truly thinking of the orphans at all times.

5. Moscow is a lot different than I thought it would be. It's a big city, but they have no big buildings. No sky scrappers, just a ton of run down apartment complexes. We've already taken a handful of pictures. We'll post them later. We're counting on waking up around 2 or 3 in the morning, then we'll have all sorts of time to blog some more. Right now, I can hardly see straight. It's 10:00pm here - but 1:00pm back at home. My body is wondering why I never slept from the night before.

6. Also - The flight from Toronto to Moscow (on Aeroflot) was surprisingly wonderful. I had only heard bad things about Russian airlines, but the plane was big, new and spacious. A nice bonus!

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

Congrats on making it into Moscow! I hope your clothes catch up with you soon...and glad you didn't miss your connecting flight.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking time for the blog and update - even while super duper tired. We were happy to get the news that you have arrived in Moscow--one step closer to your children. So glad you have a great host in Vladmir and that you are making the best of the baggage situation. No doubt it will find you soon. We will keep the skype lines open -- sorry we missed your first call. N & P

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! I just got home from work and went straight to your site and ta da! You are there! I'm glad you get to rest before you meet the kids. We are still so excited for you. Just wait until those little guys meet their Mommy and Daddy. Any fatigue will undoubtedly pass quickly. Be safe, and we, too will wait for the skype line. Jean

Becky and Keith said...

So glad you got there okay, but sorry to hear about your clothes missing! When we went to Paris (from Atlanta), my clothes made it to the airport fine, but my husband's clothes wound up in LA?!?! It was quite the adventure! Can't wait to read about your trip.