Saturday, June 16, 2007

Sunday Morning 9:30am

We just wandered out of the hotel. (After an hour of attacking our clothes with the hairdryer, we were dry and ready)

Moscow is cool. We ventured down what appeared to be a pretty major street. (A fast paced, downtown street with no stop lights). We found a Citibank ATM that gave us Rubles and spotted a quaint breakfast cafe. We nearly got killed trying to cross the 8 lane speedway. It was kinda like the old arcade game FROGGER. Except that we only have 1 1ife instead of 3. (and we're not frogs)

The funny part is that we spotted (after the fact) a staircase that allows you to cross UNDER the street. This proved to be much safer on our way back to the Hotel.

For breakfast we each had a caramel banana latte. (It was good, but it wasn't Starbucks - but it DID cost as much). To eat, Katie had raspberry pancakes (crepes) and I had Beef pancakes. Yes, that's right - Beef. Actually, it tasted a lot like a runza - But smaller. Everything is small here. When we were trying on clothes last night, we were very disappointed that our usual sizes did not even remotely fit. For example, I usually wear size 33 waist pants. Their size 33's would not even fit past my thighs. Also, their XL t-shirts (which cost $75) looked like it was pulled from my closet back in 1986. (Both in style and in size)

Anywho, after breakfast we found a supermarket (thanks to my newfound ability to read Russian letters) and I think we found a winner! If our bags don't come in today, we'll be able to stock up on a few important things. (socks, razors, deodorant, shampoo, and even stuffed animals for Zac and Molly)

The plan for the rest of the day is:

- Go to the Hotel Business Center and see if we can download pictures. (Right now, we are unable to)
- Go to Red Square
- Leave for the airport (around 6)
- Fly to Novokuznetsk (around 10)

- SEE MOLLY AND ZAC!!!

If we don't get back here before our flight, our next blog will not be until Monday night most likely. (Which is Monday Morning for all you Americans)

Speaking of being an American, Katie and I feel like idiots for not learning a few more common Russian phrases. I guess I was so overwhelmed with the language that I gave up too easily. I should have a least learned to say the phrase, "Sorry dude, I really can't speak a lick of Russian. But have a nice day anyway".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, we are so glad to know your itinerary so we can keep tabs on where you are when. Thanks both of you for giving us this blog to watch you move through this wonderful adoption experience. I'm sure when you decide to share your journal with your children, Katie, they will also enjoy all of the adventures you have gone through to get to them and bring them home. Good Luck to both of you. Hope sometime you find your luggage! God Bless and Love, Aunt Anica and Uncle Jeff

Elle said...

"Yah ni pah ni my-oh pah roo-ski" (I don't understand Russian) "Yah ni gah-vahr-you pah roo-ski" (I don't speak Russian)

Pah-zhal-sta (Please)
Spah-cee-bah (Thank you)

That's all you need to know.

Evidently we forgot to tell you not to cross the street above ground in Moscow. Glad you learned quickly.

Anonymous said...

Hello Ryan and Katie.
We're are happy to learn you made it to Russia safely and we love reading about your adventure. You are all in our prayers.
Becca and Nate

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie and Ryan, Grandma is so glad to hear all the things you are getting to do and your sightseeing. Most important is keeping in touch with all of us in Lincoln, Kearney, and Wyoming. You are learning a lot of interesting things in your traveling. I enjoyed hearing about your breakfast this morning and those special beef pancakes. I had to laugh when I heard that Ryan drank your contacts. I am sure you will soon see Molly and Zac. Good Luck, with Love, Grandma