Friday, June 1, 2007

Lots of stuff

Thank you to all of you who left messages. This is a super exciting time.

I can't begin to describe what yesterday was like. The excitement is SO HIGH. I must say that certainly the birth of my two biological was exciting - BUT as a DAD I didn't get to experience everything in its fullest. But with this, I am experiencing the rush just as much as Katie on this one. We are 100% equal in this experience.

Some may say that adoptive parents miss something in the experience, but so far, I disagree. The adventure that we're going through has been just as exciting (albeit different) as the birth of Hallie and Jake.

Today, we're running around trying to figure out what to do next. We've sent pictures to 2 different doctors who call themselves "International Adoption experts". (2 heads are better than 1, right?)

Sorry I can't post pictures for you guys. (Says the blogging community) Maybe some other day. In the mean time, I'll just post a picture of the family in Hawaii:




OK - back to more important stuff: It turns out that Molly and Zac are from the REGION of Kemerovo, NOT the city. In fact, they are from the CITY of Novokuznetsk. (yea, it still takes me about 10-15 seconds to rattle that one off. Maybe I'll just start calling it "Novo". Then again, I don't want to make anyone mad during this crutial time in our adoption).

It looks like Novokuznetsk isn't too far from the city of Kemerovo. Additionally, it looks like the city has a population of 500,000 therefore, I think we'll be able to fly in direct from Moscow. But I haven't confirmed it yet.

Another interesting thing I found was that on March 19th 2007 a massive methane explosion ripped through the Ulyanovskaya mine in Novokuznetsk killing over 100 people. Clearly, the people of this region will still be greatly impacted by this when we go to visit.

Last: The concert is tomorrow! We're totally ready. The bands are ready to rock. And the weather.... well, it looks like a mystery. Right now, the plan is to go for it outside and see what happens. So wish us luck!

See you there! (unless you live far away)

3 comments:

A Room to Grow said...

exciting times. best of luck at the concert! i'll be checking back often for more news!

Anonymous said...

Ryan and Katie- Congratulations! Russ and I just returned from Russia on Friday with our daughter. She is from Novokuznetsk. I know that you are busy, but feel free to contact us if you want/have questions. Rhonda has our phone number, etc.
Russ and Vicki

Anonymous said...

Smart to not post pics...congrats to you all! We are very excited for you! Hallie again will make a great big sister! Hugs to you all...
Mrs. Tracy

ps...Dr Kolb at Children's reviewed our referrals...he isn't in the adoption biz anymore, but he has adopted from Russia and has a heart for it...I believe his wife is a member of our holt playgroup and such....lmk if you need more info!
thosetracys@cox.net