Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Sad News

Well, we heard some sad news from our agency today. After further investigation it seems that Zac was not on the official Russian databank when we received our referral and this is the reason for the delay in getting a court date. There are four other families that all traveled around the same time as us with the same problem. It seems that the regional office sent the paperwork to Moscow about these children before we even received the referral but somewhere between their office and Moscow the children never were officially put on the databank of orphans.

We could ask a million questions that we would never get the answer to and place blame on so many people but that really does no good. The fact of the matter is that Zac has to be on that databank six months before he can be adopted internationally. We hope to find out tomorrow when he was officially put on the databank so that we can estimate when we might go back to get him and bring him home. The scary thing for us is that during this time he could be adopted by a Russian family.

We are trying to remain positive and hopeful. The "good" news in all this is for Zac. If the worst happens and we do not get to adopt him we can be thankful that it was this process that put his name on the databank so that he had a chance at adoption and a family. Of course, we hope that is our family.

We will let you all know when he was placed on the databank. The only other remote possiblity is that maybe because this is happening with all four families they will decide to start his six month wait from the original date that they sent in his documents to Moscow (pretty far fetched).

Thanks for your prayers and support. Please pass our story on to anyone you think might want to know so that we don't have to tell the story over and over again.

We are still going to choose to focus on what we do have, choose to be thankful for it and hope that Zac will still be ours.

14 comments:

Rachael said...

Really sad news. So sorry. Hoping for the best...

Dan and Alicia Marlowe said...

Reading your blog puts my day in perspective bigtime. I am humbled at how blessed I am. And yet, I have an abiding peace as I read your blog that God has known of this detail all along and He didn't bring you all this way to leave you devastated and without hope. Our love goes out to you in the spirit of comrodary that only international adoptive families can share. We will pray that God releases Zac to your love as soon as possible! Our hearts are with you tonight!

Julie and Matt said...

I'm so, so sorry. This process is horrible. Horrible. I pray for amazing grace for your family and Zac.

Anonymous said...

Ryan and Katie, I'm so sorry. I don't know what else I can say to state it any better. I know you have been thinking "any day" and now to have such a long delay. I like your attitude of knowing that if you hadn't started the process who only knows when (if ever) he would have been put on the registry. I'll try to touch base with you tomorrow....I hope you hear something soon about how much longer his wait will be. We love you all!

Jenni

Anonymous said...

My heart is with you tonight, too. This has been the saddest news we could have received. Zac is a child of God. He is in His hands. We must wait and pray! And I do mean that. I know how I feel and don't want to imagine what is going on in your hearts tonight. God will make this right. Keep the faith my loved ones. Sometimes it is easier to write than speak. G

Unknown said...

I’m so sorry that you will have a delay in bringing your son home. I’m sure from the moment you met Zac or maybe the moment you saw his first picture he felt like your son. It’s a very emotional rollercoaster that I think many can’t relate to and it’s just so hard to explain how you feel sometimes. I too know of the agonizing and heart aches of having to wait to bring a child home from Russia. I traveled to meet my son in February of this year and will finally be going back next week to bring him home. I waited 7 long months to get the call. I will pray for your family during this very difficult time.

Chris said...

We will pray for a successful outcome for your family and Zac.

Becky and Keith said...

I hope you get some kind of uplifting news today. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. Your strength has always amazed me (I'm a lurker) and you have such a way of putting the difficult things into such a positive perspective. We will keep your family and Zac in our prayers and I truly hope this databank issue gets resolved quickly.

Anonymous said...

Cyber hugs from another PAP to you. (Prospective Adoptive Parent).

Elle said...

I'm sorry you've had such a delay. Your words about praying Zac has a forever family pulled at my heartstrings. That is what I prayed for day in and day out with my Alexander. His forever family was with a Russian one, but he eventually led me to the son I have today. And him... I couldn't imagine my life without him.

Dan and Alicia Marlowe said...

Wow! I've thought about you so much. It reminds me of when I first got pregnant and miscarried at 4 1/2 months. I was blown away. I never realized that could happen to us. I thought, get pregnant...get bigger and bigger for 10 months and WHAMO - baby! But God had other plans for that baby and the next one. And then, our Natalie and I felt more than compensated. God is full of suprises and we can rejoice in His good heart toward us and our children. I really believe Zac was meant to be yours and am praying God will move the mountains necessary to allow you to go to him much sooner than it sounds! So much love to your family. We will be praying!

Suz said...

Oh my, I'm so sorry you've received the news of this setback.

I hope you'll learn that there isn't too much time left for him on the databank!

Rhonda said...

Wow. What a shocking piece of news. Well, I can tell you that all of our waiting (about 2 years) was for reasons that were revealed to us after our children were home. When I looked back at the process, I realized we couldn't have brought our children home if the timing had been different. All of the dominoes fell into place at the right time to bring our kids home (including both of them being rejected by their first referral families). So, I pray the same will happen, and when this is over, God will reveal to you the "why's" behind the wait.

What an incredible bummer.

Dede said...

Sorry to hear this. I know how devastated you must feel. I hope there is some good news soon.