Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Gotcha Day

Today is Gotcha Day. And guess what? WE GOT HIM! It has already been an amazing day. It's about 1:00 in the afternoon and our little angel is taking a nap. I thought I'd take the opportuntity and quickly blog. (For those of you who may not be able to sleep tonight)

First of all, I'd really like to post some pictures, but there continues to be "Siberian technical glitches" going on here. I'm working on it. Really, I am.

We picked him up around 10am. Everybody was packed into the director's teeny tiny office except for myself. I was standing in the doorway looking in. It was about 10 degrees hotter in the office and I was trying to cool off. (Have I mentioned how HOT it is everywhere we go?) These Siberians are a bunch of wimps when it comes to cold. -Totally different than you'd expect.

I looked down the long hall just in time to see Zac around the corner. I crouched down and held out my arms. He gave me a tender smile and walked all the way down the hallway way to me. When we met he opened up his arms and and gave me a gentle hug. Really. I'm not kidding. It was a Hallmark moment. Truly surreal.

He and I talked and cuddled for awhile while Katie was finishing up various "important background questions". Then Katie got to hold him for a while too. He was so comfortable with us. Not overly friendly. Not fake affection. Just very VERY comfortable. And we are comfortable with him. No fears. Nothing awkward. Just two parents with their new son.

We wrapped up details and goodbyes and packed ourselves into the car. Nothing too eventful happened as we were only about a 5 minute drive from the orphanage. We quietly went up the stairs and down the hall. He began to look a little concerned. Understandable seeing as how today is the first day he's stepped foot outside the baby home in 20 months. Nevertheless, he seemed very comforted by our Russian words. (Side note, I can't begin to emphasize how helpful it's been to know Russian better. I've already had full conversations with him! -Do you have to use the toilet? nyet. Do you want more milk? da.

While in the room, we read books, ate lunch and finished with a bottle. "A bottle?" You may ask. Yes, we've read that bottle feeding toddlers is great for attachment and eye contact. He seemed very relaxed and tired at this point where upon I told him (in Russian, of course) that it was time for a nap. What happened next was amazing. He marched over to the bed, crawled under the covers and immediately lowered his bed on the pillow. He lay flat on his back and began staring at the ceiling. Katie and I both layed down next to him as we thought he may need the comfort. He didn't budge. He didn't wiggle around. He didn't fuss. He didn't roll over on his side. He just went "into the zone". Within 60 seconds, Katie and I both watched him fade off to sleep. It was robotic.

Part of me was thinking "SWEET!!!" but the rest of me knew what this really meant. In his world, you don't have a choice. There is one way to take a nap and we just witnessed it. Don't wait for a book. Don't wait for a song. Nevermind all the noise and other kids crying. Just go into the zone and shut off the world.

It broke my heart.

I can't begin to convey how perfect today has been. Katie and I are in complete disbelief. Are we dreaming? Somebody pinch me. I expected disconnect. I expected terrible twos. What we have instead is perfect love. Perfect family love. I know it doesn't always start like this. This is what is must mean to be blessed.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

To all you bloggers, we are delighted to let you know that we just talked with Pasha, Katie and Ryan on Skype. What a beautiful family! I should say "Zac" as he said his name for us and smiled, and waved, and was absolutely delightful. Katie and Ryan were beaming and there was genuine joy in their voices. Little sister Hallie talked with her newest brother for the first time. After the call she commented, "He got a haircut.!" Brother Jake was still in bed (it is 6:00 a.m. here at home.) Yes, he looked so precious. We saw and spoke to our new grandson for the first time in real time. Yes, truly a blessing. Love, N & P

Anonymous said...

I'll just say the same from G & G. Yes, indeed the grandmothers are on their computers at 6 a.m. He is a beautiful little boy. He swmiled, laughed, and gave his Daddy a high 5. Mommy and Daddy are overjoyed! Again, to our fellow bloggers: thanks you for your prayers throughout this process. I know that has been a huge comfort to all of us, especiaally Katie and Ryan. God is good!

willjenni said...

....yes, he is beautiful! I got the exciting and fun chance to call the grammies and tell them to get out of bed quick and get on Skype! The biggest thrill I can think of to be checking my e-mail at 5:45 this morning and have that Skype call come through from Ryan and Katie. I about jumped through the ceiling answering! Zac (and he said his name SO well!) is an absolute angel! Thanks for calling you guys and we will see you soon!

Love, Jenni

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the family, Zac. We love you already and you will delight in all you see and do with your new Horner family. We are praying that your next steps home will be safe and strong for all of you. We can't wait to meet you. Tell your momma and pappa that the rest of us need to know some Russian, too. We are anticipating what the wonderful moments will be like with your brother and sister. Ryan and Katie, How totally inspired and grateful you must feel to have this little one in your midst to begin a new life with him. Love to you all, Aunt Anica and Uncle Jeff

Unknown said...

Congratulations to all of you! Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Kristy

WyoLisa said...

So happy to hear things are going well, we have been praying for you all. Can't wait to see him and get to know our new nephew (and cousin). Lots of Love, S, L & J

Anonymous said...

Perfectinsky--that is Russian for your first day! Poppie

Unknown said...

I am so overjoyed for yall!! What a perfect way to start out your new lives together. Thanks so much for sharing this with us & letting us peer into your experience - the ups and downs have been quite a journey. Now a plane ride for him...a toddler, one who hasn't even gone out for a Target run. Should be very memorable! :)
Prays and love,
Lisa & fam

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so happy for your whole family. And I am happy that the blog is public again. I have followed your journey for some time. I've been checking in daily to see if the blog was open again. Thanks! REALLY REALLY excited for you guys.

Heather (Kaz. mommy)

Unknown said...

In tears....again! Major tears of JOY. I am so happy for all of you. I can't wait to meet the little guy and see in person the joy on your faces. Thanks again for blogging. This has to be about the coolest thing ever to be able to keep in touch with you like this. How blessed you are! Love, Jacy

Mindy said...

Fighting off tears again....still praying lots for your family. You are in my mind and heart every moment. Glad to hear he is finally yours.

Mindy

Anonymous said...

Yay for the Horner family! Congratulations! Been following the blog until it went dark. Glad it is public again. Thanks for sharing your amazing journey! Have a safe trip home. Oh, and Zac is soooo cute. You must be over the moon.

take care,

Meril (Jesse and Jason's sister)

Carrie said...

I am thrilled your first day with Zac went so well. It is the beginning of an amazing journey. The rest of the trip is much easier. I still can't believe you had a new plane. Really why can't I stop dwelling on this?? Anyway we are so happy for you.

William Myatt said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! We're very happy for you guys. Zac has been blessed with a wonderful family. Thank you for loving him.

Bill and Mel