Saturday, April 19, 2008

Sunday Morning

Last night went well.  Katie and I both crashed right at 10:00pm Moscow time.  Katie slept thru the night, while I made it all the way till 11:00pm.  Hmmm.... not exactly what I would call a full night's sleep.  I did manage to find 4 more hours of sleep from approximately 2:00 to 6:00.

Two stories:

1.  One might think that our biggest language barrier would be with the Russians.  In fact, we had an interesting encounter with our fellow Americans D&A.  We had just arrived at the hotel when D told us.  "We could make a lot of money here starting a cow wash".  I let out a good fake laugh and tried to make sense of what in the world he had just said.  I assumed that somehow this comment had something to do with me being from Nebraska.  Katie, who's social skills are better then mine, politely asked him "What?"  whereupon, he said it again.  "We could make a lot of money here starting a cow wash."  

Then it hit me.  D is from Boston.  He was, in fact, saying "car wash".  Indeed, there are lots of dirty cars here in Moscow.  We shared a laugh over that one.

2.  We went out this morning to the grocery store.  (See below)


We bought ourselves a nice little breakfast.  Some meat, cheese, bread and milk.  It all tasted wonderful... except the milk.  The bottle of evil... er... I mean, milk looked close enough like what we thought a bottle of milk should look like.  (See below)


But don't be fooled people!  This stuff may look like milk, but it smells like feet and tastes like liquid sour cream.  If anyone can read Russian, I'd love to know what in the world this stuff was. It should not be available for consumption.

Travel update:

We're leaving tonight for Novo at 10:00pm Moscow time.  It's a 4 hour flight and we loose 4 more hours.  So we'll arrive at 6:00am Novo time.  I have no idea if we'll go to the Baby Home right away in the morning (I hope!) or if we'll have to wait for the afternoon.  Either way, I'm thinking that my next post will be made some time early Monday morning US time.  (Late afternoon for us)

Don't loose too much sleep running down to check your computer every hour.... Nannie.

2 comments:

Russian Adoption Chronicles said...

Hi! I can't ready cyrillic, but I think you may have buttermilk in there, or the liquid yogurt stuff they drink.

I almost bought that for Nick, then the grocery store clerk pointed me to the boxes of milk (red with a woman on it). Now that is good stuff. Have a safe flight today and see if you can snatch row 23, is the exit row on the Tupo.

Dan and Alicia Marlowe said...

It is kephir. It is a fermented yogurt drink and is VERY good for replenishing good bacteria in your GI system. So if you get 'that' kind of sick while there ... you know what to drink. It is considered 'health food' in Russia (and here in the states).